Although every child with autism is different, it is true that there are a number of signs or symptoms of autism that are common and easily recognized by anyone close to the patient.
Symptoms of Autism in Children
To simplify, autism is a neurological disorder that mainly affects social, communication and language skills. This means that the child has difficulty relating to other children, as soon as he or she speaks or his or her first words are late in coming, and does not usually make eye contact.
According to the Spanish Autism Confederation, the symptoms of autism can be structured according to the age of the child resulting in the following three groups:
Up to 12 months
- Doesn’t react when called by name
- He doesn’t play “cuckoo-ass” social games
- Does not babble
- Does not make gestures in relation to his surroundings to pick up or point at objects
Between 12 and 18 months
In addition to the previous demonstrations, the following ones should be added:
- He doesn’t talk or try to say easy words like dad, mom or water.
- Diverts your gaze and does not make eye contact
- He doesn’t interact with objects, animals, his family…etc.
- Nor does he point or gesture
- It sometimes has unusual responses to sound stimuli.
About 24 months
- He does not speak in sentences of more than two words, nor does he imitate or reproduce other people’s words or expressions.
- He has difficulty maintaining eye contact when spoken to, and does not follow objects with his eyes.
- He doesn’t engage in play with other children, and he doesn’t seem to like being with other people.
It should be clear that if a child has any of these symptoms in isolation, it does not necessarily mean that he or she is autistic. If any of these signs are detected, the recommendation is to go to a specialist who will evaluate the child and determine his or her condition.
Treatment of Autism in Children
At the Hyperbaric Clinic of Esteponawe specialise in treating children with autism with oxygen therapy. The first medical consultation is free of charge.